What Can You Do Next?
- Get a Rulebook
- If you aspire to play Warhammer 40K, the first thing to do is get a Warhammer Rulebook and read the basic rules. This large tome details nearly anything you could ever want to know about the game and how to play it.
- Find a Warhammer 40K Store
- The next important step is to find out where the closest Warhammer vendor to you is. Though everything you need can certainly be ordered online, hobby stores and the like can be great communities to find players, help, and advice. They can especially help you figure out the next thing you need.
- Pick an Army
- Finding the right army for you is important, as it's going to be something you're going to want to put a lot of work into, and eventually be proud of.
- Pick up a Codex
- Once you've decided what's right for you, the next thing is getting a codex. Each army has one, and it is a player's bible. It has all the lore on your army, all of the units and point values, special rules, and weapon profiles for everything you will use to destroy your opponents.
- Plan your Fighting Force
- If you have a codex, you can start planning what you want to buy. A good bet for most armies is to buy a 'battleforce', a box that contains a starter kit for each army. From there you can build up your army using the units of your choice to make a force that is your own.
- Painting is optional, but can really make your army look good on the play table, and can be a fun skill to develop. Each codex also has details on the specific paint schemes and colors to use when painting your army.
- Play your first game!
- Once you have a fighting force, it's time to play your first game! Hobby stores that work with Warhammer are great places to find opponents, or if you have some friends that are also starting to play, you can face off against each other!
Most importantly, through glorious victories and humiliating defeats, remember to have fun.
Quarterstaff GamesI personally live near Burlington, and there is a great Warhammer community at Quarterstaff Games in Burlington. There you can purchase models, paint, brushes, anything you would need for the hobby.
Their hours are as follows:
|Store Hours||Gamespace Hours|
|Mon-Fri 11 AM - 7 PM||Mon-Fri 5 PM - 11 PM|
|Sat+Sun 11 AM - 7 PM||Sat+Sun 11 AM - 7 PM|