101_0167   102_0207

Arriving in Maine Nov 2003

 

101_0196

 

 

 

 

 

106_0691

Preparing for the arrival   Spring 2004

 

slide0005_image071

Arriving in Vermont June 2004

 

slide0006_image076       slide0007_image078

Laid up at 581 Mason Road in Randolph Vermont    Summer 2004

 

 

108_0829  slide0008_image080

Removing the deck fabric  Summer 2004

 

 

slide0015_image060  slide0016_image066

 

Bad frame spots on the starboard side….beginning the process of replacing them…  Summer 2004

 

 

115_1589

The first winter in Vermont…it’s actually almost “spring” at this point.  Mar 2005

 

 

 118_1805_2   118_1803_2

Summer 2005   Uncovering the frames and getting into the structural repairs

 

 

 

 

 

119_1932

 

Learned how to harvest locust crooks for frames…these are some of the first piled outside my shop prior to milling.    June 2005

 

119_1931   119_1996

(Left)  At the beginning I removed the old frames and used them for templates. Here is an old frame laid out on a locust crook for tracing.  (Right) One of the first frames fitted in.    Summer 2005

 

 

 

 

126_2641  130_3030

Boat work on winters night …. Jan 2006  Harvesting larch for planking   June 2006

 

 

 

 

 

132_3234

 

From advise by boat builder, Nate Piper, I shifted to creating luan templates instead of the old frames.  July 2006

 

132_3204

 

New and old floor timbers. Jan 2007

 

 

 

140_4087

Removing old bronze keel bolts with heads blind between lead and oak keels.  It took some time to develop the process and the tools.  Homemade hole saw (1 in tubing custom machined) and extracted bronze bolt.   Jan 2007

 

140_4074     144_4475

Frames preband saw…still using hand power planar, reciprocal saws, etc.  New frames, linseed oiled and primed.  Spring 2007

143_4313    152_5260

Fitting in new keel bolts…Above left -  locust crook used as a lever to drill up into lead keel.  Above right - Ships auger hand twisted to drill out 1 in diameter hole though lead keel (~6 in thick).  Below -  New floors, frames, and keel bolts fitted in. The existing stainless keel bolts (installed in every other station in 1986) were in great shape.  New stainless bolts replaced the original bronze bolts (1951) - April 2008

 

143_4316

 

 

100_0291   100_0312

Moved up into the bow to replace the keel and forefoot fasteners. Right- removing the steel shoe over the bow.  Summer 2008

 

 

100_1735

Built a bow roof shed in Dec 2008….this was a huge improvement.

 

 

 

100_2911

One side of the shop…I got the bandsaw and the jointer in the spring of 2009…should have done it 3 years earlier…. made a big difference with frame production.   Spring 2009

 

100_2923    100_2909

Beveling a new frame from locust.   New locust frames, luan templates, power planer, belt sander.  Summer 2009

 

 

100_3959  100_3958

Fall 2009… The boat shed is working great.  The wood on the right is larch planking stock and locust framing stock.

 

100_4633

 

 

Making some progress…new frames in the bow section and amidships where most of the replacement is needed.  Hoping to begin putting planks on soon…..  Spring 2010