Week: 3 4 56
7 8 9 101112
We got into our groups this week and began discussing project
ideas. Doug is going to bring in an old clutch for us to start working
with. We will use the dimensions from the currently used clutch and
begin modifications next week.
This week it was decided that instead of redesigning the primary
(drive) clutch we would redesign the secondary clutch. The secondary
clutch uses a Helix (circular ramp) system instead of weights to adjust
drive gearing. Once the decision was made to focus on the secondary
clutch the idea of making the helix adjustable was proposed. Concept
sketches were developed and we came up with the idea of having one Helix
inside of another. From this idea, Ralph came up with the idea for
a spring-loaded pin system to hold the inner helix in place while the clutch
was in use. We then began discussing options for a project web page
but no final decisions were made.
Updated electronic notebook for project evaluations.
We continued work on our individual assignments. I started
modeling the secondary clutch. We are not planning to modify these
parts, we are simply going to modify the Helix and place it within the
existing secondary clutch. We discussed what should go on the project
web page and we will have it up and running soon. Doug is going to
bring the clutch back in so I can reference it while modeling the parts.
Work on the modeling of the secondary clutch has been slow
because I have been unable to get and actual clutch to make sketches of
and to take measurements from. I have been working from a picture
down loaded from the web. Doug will bring his clutch in next week.
Doug brought in his secondary clutch, so I could get the information
needed to model it in mechanical desktop. I sketched all the pieces
of the secondary clutch and took measurements with my dial calipers.
I also took digital photos of the entire secondary clutch both assembled
I modeled the top and bottom plates of the secondary clutch
based on the sketches and photos taken last week. I then assembled
the two plates and will begin working on the cover soon.
I scanned the sketches made of the secondary clutch and updated
my project notebook for project evaluation number two. I created
links to my digital photos, sketches,
the clutch plates, assembly drawings, fully
dimensioned drawings, isometric drawings,
members' project notebooks, and VRML files.
I started modeling the cover for the secondary clutch.
I had major issues with the extrusions and after trying several different
methods that didn't work I decided to take some time away and try another
I created a separate file called "THINGY" for the extrusion
on the Cover. I then assembled the two drawings and combined them
to make one part. After finishing the cover I assembled it to the
top and bottom clutch plates in the clutch assembly file. I then
changed the colors on the parts in preparation for rendering.
I added ribs to the top and bottom plates and then updated
the assembly drawing. This took awhile because the files have become
rather large and the computer had a hard time arraying the 18 ribs on each
plate. When this finally worked without crashing the computer I worked
on updating my project notebook.
I modified the cover file to include the three small wheels
that ride on the slope of the helix and cause the clutch to either engage
or disengage as needed. I assembled the wheels and pins that hold
them to the cover and prepared the file for rendering. I then rendered
the file and made a thumbnail sketch to link to my project notebook.
We assembled the entire clutch including the helix subassembly
and the hydraulics system this week, at which point we realized that the
helix didn't quite fit into the subassembly. At this point we decided
it would be my job to fix the assembly drawing. After several hours
of modifications, however, the helix fits and the assembly works wonderfully.
I then rendered both the assembly and exploded assembly drawings and plotted
them for presentation.
Due to network and computer problems I was forced to revisit
many of my files and change the format from .jpg to .gif and relink many
of my drawings and sketches. After all of that my project notebook
kept crashing so I have had to redo a lot of work on that as well.
I created an electronic bill of materials for our project web page.
To see it click here.