MEC 1011 - Design Communication I
the end of our ‘Lab’ meeting in Week 3
Reference Chapter 2 Part Modeling 1 (pp 86-103)
a new project named after you and located in
- Create a new part. Name it T.
sketch 1 and make a T shape. Constrain and Dimension the T to achieve a
symmetrical shape in ¼” increments; ie 1 ¼ x ¾ and so on. Fully
constrain your sketch. Using geometric constraints, make the
‘arm’ width equal to the ‘stem’ width (see Figure
1 but you don’t have to constrain it exactly as shown).
- Extrude the T using whole numbers. Save part
(already named T). File/Save
Copy As to make a new part named T_with_centerplane.
- Close T and open T_with_centerplane.
Construct 2 work axes as shown in blue in Figure 2.
- At their intersection place a work point and
thru that work point add another work axis (center axis) parallel to the
extrusion (see Figure 2).
- Add a work plane thru the center axis and
parallel to the plane of symmetry (see Figure 3). Save part (already
named T_with_centerplane). File/Save Copy As to make a new
part named T_with_diagonal_hole.
- Close T_with_centerplane and open T_with_diagonal_hole.
Add (2) Work Points at opposite corners (see Figure 4). Connect then with
a Work Axis. Now, add a Hole feature on one of the new points and using
the new axis as a direction (use the “On Point” choice under
Placement). Set Termination to Through All.
- Save part (already named T_with_diagonal_hole).
- Make a new part, and using your work plane
practice create a Loft. Save it as Loft.ipt
- Do the same for a Sweep.
- Make a simple extruded part and draft all faces
with Face Draft. Save this as another file called Face_Draft.
- Make an Extruded and shelled part called Ribs. Add Ribs to the interior at
- Using Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer),
check your folder and make sure your files are all there. There should be
7 .ipt’s, and 1 .ipj. If there aren’t, see your instructor
See sample part
including many of the above features